How many positions does our program offer? 

The ACGME has approved our program for: 4 categorical PGY 1 residents and 4 non-designated preliminary PGY 1 residents; 4 categorical PGY 2 residents and 2 non-designated preliminary PGY 2 residents; 4 categorical PGY 3 residents; 4 categorical PGY 4 residents and 4 categorical PGY 5 residents.

Is there a minimum / cutoff USMLE score for your program?

To be considered a competitive applicant to our program we recommend applicants have a USMLE Part I score of greater than 215. Test scores are only one part of the entire application. In general, individuals who score well on the USMLE are more likely to perform well on in-training examinations and the board certification examination. Individuals who consistently have difficulty passing the USMLE are less likely to perform well on future standardized examinations.

I graduated a few years ago. Is there a maximum number of years out of school allowed for applicants?

To be considered a competitive applicant at our program we recommend applicants be out of medical school less than 5 years and have prior clinical experience within the United States health care system. Unused or unpracticed clinical skills tend to decline over time.

Do I have to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply for your program? Do you offer J-1 or H-1 visas?

Yes, in order to be eligible for our residency program, you need to be either a United States citizen or a permanent resident. We do not offer J-1 or H-1 visas at this time.

Do you offer observorships or can I come for an informal visit or interview?

We do not offer observorships at this time. In the interest of fairness, we will not offer informal visits or interviews prior to our formal interviews beginning November 13. All complete applications will be reviewed after October 16. If you have been granted an interview, you will be notified after that date.

If I am a foreign medical graduate, what documents do I need in order to apply for your program?

In addition to the documents required for ERAS, all California residency programs require two additional documents from foreign medical graduates: 1) the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) status report and 2) the Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL).

Please note that the Medical Board of California will require several months to issue the Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter, so please apply well in advance. You may be granted an interview at our program before you have received your Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL), however, we need to receive your PTAL before January 15th in order to rank you for the Match.