- To have a residency program which is amongst the leaders in the area of surgical education.
- To educate residents and medical students in the art and science of surgery.
- To recruit, support and retain faculty with high academic standards, who are committed to surgical education and are excellent role models to younger generations of surgeons.
- To maintain and foster a research environment that contributes to medical knowledge and stimulates innovative thinking in our residents and faculty.
- To foster an educational environment in which the mission of Riverside University Health System, Kaiser Permanente Hospital - Riverside, Loma Linda University Medical Center and the University of California Riverside medical school is emphasized not only in the care of the patient but also by helping our residents to become excellent surgeons while they continue to cultivate their cultural, social and spiritual life.