Friday, May 6
Thank you for your interest in the RUHS-COVID study
This study is completely voluntary and there is no cost to participate. You can stop participating in the study at any time. The following is a brief description of the study. If you have interest, please use the contact information and we will contact you to explain in detail and answer any questions
Why are we doing this study- To test if two medications used in combination will improve your COVID-19 symptoms and prevent you from going to the hospital.
If you agree to participate in the study, you will be given either the active combination of the two medications (imatinib and mebendazole) or a placebo (sugar) pill with no active medication.
You will be monitored closely for your condition and any negative effects of the medications by following the study activities.
You are eligible if you:
- Have tested positive to COVID-19 within the past 4 days
- Are showing symptoms associated with mild to moderate COVID-19 such as stuffy or runny nose, sneezing, sore/scratchy throat, cough, fever, chills, headache, or weakness and feeling very tired)
- Are between 18-90 years of age
- Can take oral medication and are willing to adhere to the dosing regimen (twice a day for 5 days) and study visits
You are not eligible if you:
- If you have a known allergy to the study medications- mebendazole or imatinib
- If you have a serious acute or chronic medical condition such as chronic kidney disease, liver disease, cardiac disease, COPD, asthma, bleeding disorder, seizure disorder or HIV infection
- If you are currently taking a corticosteroid or anticipating being hospitalized
- If you are PREGNANT or BREAST FEEDING
Study Length - You will be followed for a total of 30 days- 5 days while taking the medication, and then for 25 days after taking all the medication.
What you will be asked to do- - Participate in an initial visit either by telephone or Tele video or if necessary, in person for you to be informed about the study, obligations and risks. If you decide to join the study, you will provide written consent at that visit and return the signed consent by scanning or in person. You will then have blood tests drawn and receive the medication. - The medication regimen will last 5 days, and the medications will be given twice daily (after breakfast
and in the evening).
- One of the study team will then contact you by phone, tele video or in person on Day 3,7,15,25,
and 30 after joining the study to ensure safety.
- At the time of the calls the team member will ask you questions about your COVID-19 symptoms
using a questionnaire called the Modified Jackson Scale.
You will be eligible for financial compensation if you join
Please contact us at (951) 486-2671 for any additional information or if you have interest in joining the study.
Chris Firek: 951-489-6080
Ana Lopez 951-486-7610
Study Investigator: Dr Bruce Weng: 951-486-4000 page
Research Center Administrator: Lisa Chan 951-486-4489
The study is sponsored by the company called Skymount Medical Inc and is conducted by the RUHS Department of Research- CECORC and has been approved by the RUHS Institutional Review Board