We consider applicants on the basis of residency program-related criteria such as their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal quantities such as motivation and integrity. Our program does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected status.
To be eligible for appointment at Riverside University Health System, applicants must be either United States citizens or permanent residents. We currently do not sponsor visas.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and considered for an interview by the review committee. The RUHS - Emergency Medicine Residency Program participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) from the Association of American Medical Colleges. Applications will only be accepted through ERAS. Please do not send applications and associated documents through the mail or e-mail.
RUHS Medical Center participates in the National Resident Matching Program. Please register with them if you wish to be matched with our program (NRMP Program code 1850110C0).
To be considered for the program, applicants must submit the following:
- Medical school transcripts
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation
- Three (3) letters of recommendations (at least one SLOE)
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae (CV)/resumé
- Recent photo
- USMLE/COMLEX scores
If any required documents are in a language other than English, then a translation of the document(s) must be provided.
We accept applications for visiting residents through Clinician Nexus. Please search our site through the “Find Clinical Experiences” magnifying glass at the bottom left after logging in. Type RUHS into the search bar, and filter with Emergency Medicine in the “Specialties” filter tab, and M.D. or D.O. in the “All Disciplines” filter tab. Finally, select the block that best fits your schedule.
Visiting resident application requirements:
- Medical School Transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE/COMLEX Score
- Letter of Good Standing
- Personal Statement/Letter of Intent
Interview: Traveling to Moreno Valley
If you have been granted an interview and are considering your hotel and air transportation options, Ontario International Airport (ONT) is 26 miles to Moreno Valley, and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is 78 miles to Moreno Valley (traffic is considerably less from Ontario Airport).
A few local hotel options:
- Ayres Hotel and Spa (provides a special rate) (951) 574-4141 or book online
- Comfort Inn (951) 242-0699
- Hampton Inn & Suites (951) 571-7788
- Regency Inn & Suites (951) 247-8582
Applicants who successfully match in the program here at RUHS must provide the following additional documentation prior to starting the program:
- Official medical school transcript indicating that a degree was issued and date of issuance
- Copy of medical school diploma
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of current driver's license
- Copy of permanent resident card
- Copy of current BLS and ACLS certifications
If required documentation is in different names, then proof of name change (i.e., marriage certificate or court document) must be provided.
If any required documents are in a language other than English, then a translation of the document must be provided.
In addition to the above, prior to appointment date, the applicant must successfully complete all RUHS pre-employment requirements, including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical and Department of Justice background check.
Failure to provide any required documents or to successfully complete all pre-employment requirements by the date of appointment will result in automatic withdrawal from the training program.
Medical Student Rotation
To request a rotation on the Emergency Medicine service at RUHS, please log on to Clinician Nexus to submit your rotation request. Contact the GME office at (951) 486-5907 with any questions regarding the Clinician Nexus application.
RUHS Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE) Requests
Instructions for requesting a SLOE:
- Assign all SLOEs to the Program Director, Thomas F. Minahan, DO
- Send all requests and ERAS cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All SLOEs will be completed by as a “Group + PD”
- The SLOE committee will review final grades and faculty/resident feedback/evaluations when completing a SLOE
- SLOE Committee meetings will be held at least two times a year between August-October
If you have questions about the application process, contact:
Amy Russell, MD - Attending
Charlie Lewsadder, DO - Resident
Jackson Lu, DO - Resident