Social Work Services

California Children’s Services

California Children’s Services (CCS) recognizes that there are many factors that contribute to the health and well-being of our clients. When a client and/or their caregivers are faced with stressors in day-to-day life, it can create barriers to accessing important medical care. The goal of the CCS Medical Social Work department is to reduce those barriers and support the social and emotional needs of our clients and their families.

Our social workers specialize in assessing and understanding the needs of your household to provide personalized resources and build community connections. We can provide information on resources to assist with basic needs, such as food or utility discount programs, or accessing transportation to get to medical appointments. We can also provide emotional support and assist with adjusting to life with a serious medical condition.

Our CCS social workers also assist clients and their families with the transition from pediatric to adult healthcare. We can provide information on changes that happen when a CCS client turns 18 and provide resources for education, employment, financial support, and legal assistance. We aim to improve our clients’ readiness for adulthood and transition out of our program with services conclude at age 21.

Transition Planning

Riverside County CCS has a Transition Planning Coordinator to help maximize the independence of our CCS clients as they transition into adulthood. Starting as early as age 14, youth with chronic health conditions and disabilities are highly encouraged to plan for the changes that come with transitioning into adulthood.

Transition Planning can assist youth and their families with gaining tools, resources, and support for a successful transition. Some areas that can be discussed during a transition planning appointment are:

  • Adult Medical Care
  • Education
  • Employment
  • Financial Planning
  • Independent Living
  • Transition Workshops
  • Recreational Activities
  • Community Resources/Benefits

If you are a CCS client or a family member with questions about transition or would like to schedule a transition planning appointment, please contact the CCS Transition Planning Coordinator at (951) 358-4011. We encourage clients, family members and other supportive persons to be included in transition planning. It’s never too early to start thinking about your future!

Parent Network – Introducing Family Compass!

Family Compass is a new and exciting program that will be hosting educational workshops and support groups for clients, parents, and families. We will offer events and learning opportunities where clients and their caregivers can get inspired, get connected, and get geared up in topics like:

  • Transition Planning
  • How to Access Community Resources and Programs
  • Disability Specific Resources (i.e. IHSS and SSI)
  • Support with Parenting Skills
  • Emotional Health and Wellbeing

If you are interested in participating in our Family Compass program or would like to be connected with other parents/caregivers, please contact our Family Compass Coordinators at (951) 358-3757 or (951) 358-3039.

Community Resources

Please see below for resources that are commonly used by our clients and their families. If you have questions about specific resources or would like to schedule an assessment with our team, please call the CCS Medical Social Work department at (951) 358-3135.

Please note that the listed services and resources are not affiliated with California Children’s Services and are subject to change without notice.

Counseling & Crisis Resources

Outpatient Behavioral Health Services are a covered benefit of Medi-Cal. To receive services, contact your managed care plan and request a referral to a mental health care provider. (Molina: 1-888-665-4621 / IEHP: 1-800-440-4347) For individuals who are not connected to a Managed Care Plan, please contact the Riverside County CARES Line at 800-499-3008

Riverside County CARES Line

Available Monday-Friday (8am – 5pm) and answered by licensed clinicians who provide support and crisis intervention, as well as connections to outpatient, inpatient and community resources for Medi-Cal beneficiaries seeking Mental Health Services in English and Spanish.

Contact Information: 800-499-3008 or visit the website for more information.

24/7 Mental Health Urgent Care Centers

Provides 24 hour/7 days/365 urgent care mental health screening and assessment services and medications to address the needs of those in crisis in a safe, efficient, trauma-informed, and least-restrictive setting.

Contact Information: Call the Riverside (951-509-2499), Palm Springs (442-268-7000) or Perris (951-349-4195) locations or visit the website for more information

What’s Up Safehouse

What’s Up Safehouse is a 24/7, free, anonymous mental health crisis texting line. for issues surrounding anxiety, substance abuse, depression, school pressure, peer pressure, LGBTQ struggles, relational issues, suicidal thoughts, bullying, and any other issue that is causing trouble.

Contact Information: Text SHHELP to 844-204-0880 or visit the website for more information.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

A free 24-hour hotline available if you or someone you know is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Press 1 for a dedicated line for veterans and their families.

Contact Information: Call 9-8-8 or visit the website for more information.

Alternatives to Domestic Violence (ADV)

If you believe you are in an abusive relationship, call ADV for more information regarding a safety plan that is personalized for your protection and situation.

Contact Information: Call 800-339-7233 or visit the website for more information.

SU Cares Line

Call for assessment, evaluation, support, and referrals for substance use treatment in Riverside County.

Contact Information: Call 800-499-3008 or visit the website for more information.

Healthcare/ Insurance Resources


Medi-Cal is a program that offers free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources.

Contact Information:  Call the Riverside County Department or Social Services at 877-410-8827 or apply for benefits online for more information.

Medically Indigent Services Program (MISP)

MISP is available through the Riverside County hospital (RUHS-MC) to adults age 21-64 who do not qualify for Medi-Cal and need treatment for acute illness.

Contact Information: Call 877-501-5085 or visit the website for more information.

Riverside University Health System- Community Health Clinics

Primary Care and dental services with a Sliding Fee Discount Program based on household income and family size.

Contact Information: Call 800-720-9553 or visit the website for more information.

Community Health Systems, Inc.

CHSI focuses on providing high quality and compassionate medical, dental, women’s health, behavioral health, and vision care services to those who are under-served, uninsured, or under-insured.   

Contact Information: Call the Moreno Valley (951-571-2350) or Riverside (951-224-8220; 951-373-5620) locations or visit the website for more information.

Housing & Independent Living Resources

Housing Authority of Riverside County

The Housing Authority administers the development, rehabilitation or financing of affordable housing programs throughout Riverside County.

Contact Information:  Call the Riverside (951-351-0700) or Indio (760-863-2828) offices or visit the website for more information.

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

A home care program that helps elders, dependent adults and minors live safely in their own homes or other non-institutional settings.

Contact Information: Call 888-960-4477 or visit the website for more information

Inland Regional Center (IRC)

Speak with your IRC Service Coordinator for more information about: Independent Living Services (ILS), Supported Living Services (SLS), Family Home Agencies, and Licensed Residential Homes

Contact Information: Call 909-890-3000 or visit the website for more information

Community Access Center

These Centers for Independent Living are community-based, cross-disability, non-profit organizations that are designed and operated by people with disabilities. Centers for Independent Living Provide:

  • Peer Support
  • Information and Referral
  • Individual and Systems Advocacy
  • Independent Living Skills Training
  • Transition

Contact Information: Call 951-274-0358 or visit the website for more information.

Transportation Resources

Transportation to Medical Appointments

Medi-Cal offers transportation to and from appointments for services covered by Medi-Cal. This includes transportation to medical, dental, mental health, or substance use disorder appointments, and to pick up prescriptions and medical supplies.

Contact Information: Call your Managed Care Plan (Molina: 1-888-665-4621 / IEHP: 1-800-440-4347) or the San Diego Field Office (858-495-3666) for individuals without a managed care plan. Visit the Medi-Cal website for more information.


Dial-A-Ride is an origin-to-destination advanced reservation transportation service for seniors and persons with disabilities. Dial-A-Ride vehicles travel to areas within three-quarters of a mile of an RTA local fixed route. 

Contact Information: Call 800-795-7887 or visit the website for more information.

Sundial Paratransit Servie (Desert Area)

SunDial is an origin-to-destination shared-ride transit service for people who are functionally unable to use the fixed-route service. 

Contact Information: Call 760-343-4231 or visit the website for more information.

Legal Assistance

Disability Rights California (DRC)

DRC advocates, educates, investigates and litigates to advance the rights, dignity, equal opportunities, and choices for people with disabilities.

Contact Information: Call (800) 776-5747 or visit the website for more information.

Legal Aid

Legal Aid provides free legal services, education and counseling to qualified low-income residents of Riverside County for bankruptcy and federal court matters, family law, eviction defense, conservatorships, guardianships/probate, along with consumer and other civil matters.

Contact Information: Call the Riverside (951-682-7968) or Indio (760-347-9456) locations or visit the website for more information.

Riverside Courts Self-Help Centers

The Self-Help center provides support for self-represented litigants by: providing links to forms and answering specific questions, providing legal information, and explaining the court process/procedures.

Contact Information: Call 951-374-4499 or 760-393-2193 or visit the website for more information

Financial & Utility Assistance

Community Action Partnership (CAP Riverside)

The utility assistance program is a one-time assistance program that helps low and moderate-income individuals and families with utility payment assistance.

Contact Information: Call 951-955-4900 or visit the website for more information.

Southern California Edison

SCE offers two programs that may lower your energy bills: California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) and Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) reduces electric bills for qualified household by 18%.

Contact Information: Call 800-447-6620 or visit the website for more information.

California Lifeline Program

The California LifeLine Program (California LifeLine) is a state program that provides discounted home phone and cell phone services to eligible households.

Contact Information: Call 877-858-7463 or visit the website for more information.

So Cal Gas

So Cal Gas offers several programs to lower the cost of your monthly bill or assist with energy-efficient home improvement costs.

Contact Information: Call 800-427-2200 or visit the website for more information 

Education Resources

Prospective students should contact the Disability Office at the college campus of their choice. The Disability Office may assist with the application process, academic planning, completing financial aid applications, arranging transportation, and many other services.

Local Community Colleges

Riverside City College (Riverside)

(951) 222-8000

Mt. San Jacinto College (Murrieta, San Jacinto, Temecula)

(951) 487-6752

Norco College (Norco)

(951) 372-7000

Moreno Valley College (Moreno Valley)

(951) 571-6100

College of the Desert (Palm Desert)

(760) 346-8041

Palo Verde College (Blythe)

(760) 921-5500
Local Universities

University of California, Riverside

(951) 827-1012

California State University, San Marcos (San Marcos, Temecula)

(760) 750-4000

California Baptist University (Riverside)

(951) 689-5771
Financial Aid and Grant Information

Students should contact their high-school counselor or prospective college’s Disability Office to ask about the most current financial aid and grant information. Below is a list of useful financial aid websites:

Employment Resources

California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)

The Supported Employment Program provides activities and services needed to support and maintain an individual with a disability in an integrated employment setting for the term of employment.

Contact Information: Call the Riverside (951-782-6650), Temecula (951-693-4451) or Palm Desert (760-674-0262) locations or visit the website for more information.

Inland Regional Center (IRC)

Speak to your IRC Service Coordinator about Supported Employment services. Supports could include job development, job coaching, transportation, specialized job training and supervision.

Contact Information: Call 909-890-3000 or visit the website for more information.

Goodwill Industries of the Inland Empire

Goodwill Southern California offers a variety of work and skills training opportunities to individuals with a diagnosed disability referred by sources like the Department of Rehabilitation and Regional Center.

Contact Information: Call 951-955-3101 or visit the website for more information.

Social Security's Ticket to Work Program

Social Security's Ticket to Work Program supports career development for Social Security disability beneficiaries age 18 through 64 who want to work. The Ticket Program is free and voluntary. The Ticket Program helps people with disabilities progress toward financial independence. 

Contact Information: Call 866-968-7842 or visit the website for more information.

Need more resources?

Just dial 2-1-1 or click here

2-1-1 provides 24/7 assistance in connecting people with important community resources and volunteer opportunities in Riverside County. 2-1-1 also provides callers with information about, and referrals to, health and human services for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Example: food, clothing, shelter, physical/mental resources, drug/alcohol intervention, employment support, legal help, hospice referrals, summer camps, recreation programs and prospective services.