Trauma Services

Phone: (951) 486-4962
Location: First Floor
Hours: 7:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday

Trauma Services

RUHS Medical Center is a Regional Trauma Center serving both the Adult and Pediatric trauma population with helipad access located directly adjacent to the Emergency Department​. The trauma team specializes in evaluating and treating the most seriously injured trauma victims and admits on average, 1,800 trauma patients annually. Most trauma patients are victims of blunt trauma (80%), with most being motor vehicle related. The remaining 20% of patients are injured from penetrating or other trauma related types of injuries or accidents. Faculty and core staff are experienced in care of the patient with single or multi-system trauma. In addition, our trauma surgeons have experience in general and laparoscopic surgery.

Trauma Research 

The Trauma Services department is involved in supporting research activities to physicians and residents by providing data on trauma patients for research studies, performance improvement, and other trauma related requests.

Injury Prevention and Safety

Injury Prevention is a key component of our trauma program. We are dedicated to working collaboratively with multiple agencies and pooling resources, all with the goal of breaking the cycle of trauma. Our community outreach programs provide us with the ability to educate our community through the following programs:

Every 15 Minutes Program

This outreach event is a two-day multi-agency collaborative effort that focuses on high school juniors and seniors.  The goal is to challenge teens to think about drinking, driving and personal safety. Remember, every 15 minutes a teenager is killed in an auto accident involving drinking and driving. 

Screening Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Process

In 2009, 23% of our trauma patients were injured due to motor vehicle collisions, many of which involved someone who was drinking and driving. As a designated trauma center, RUHS Medical Center utilizes the SBIRT process to raise the awareness of our trauma patients who are admitted with a trauma, and have a positive Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) Level.

Falls Precautions

In 2009, 31% of trauma patients were admitted as a result of an injury from a fall. RUHS Medical Center has developed an information brochure on "How to Prevent Falls in the Home." The program is being developed to include all age groups by providing education about simple ways to take care of your health and prevents falls.​​

Resources on Safety