Eligible applicants will be considered on the basis of residency program-related criteria such as their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills and personal quantities such as motivation and integrity. Programs will not discriminate with regard to sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected status.
To be eligible for appointment at Riverside University
Health System / University of California Riverside, applicants must be either
United States citizens or permanent residents. We currently do not sponsor
The application deadline is October 26, 2020. Only applications complete on October 26 will be reviewed and considered for an interview by the Program Director. The RUHS - UCR General Surgery Residency Program participates in the
Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) from the Association of American Medical Colleges. Applications will only be accepted through ERAS, please do not send applications and associated documents through the mail or e-mail.
RUHS Medical Center participates in the
National Resident Matching Program. Please register with them if you wish to be matched with our program.
Minimum Application documentation: Prior to being placed on a rank list or offered a pre-match position, applicants must have submitted the following documentation:
- Curriculum Vita
- Medical School Transcript
- Dean’s Letter or Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Three letters of reference from physicians
- Photograph taken within the last six months
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts, as applicable
- Personal Statement
- If any required documents are in a language other than English, then a translation of the document(s) must be provided.
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States must also provide the following:
- Current ECGMG Certificate
Our interview dates have not yet been deterimined, but will take place via Zoom. If you have been granted an interview, you will be notified by the program coordinator. In order to make the best use of the applicant’s time while visiting our program, it is necessary to limit interviews and tours to specified, pre-scheduled appointments.
Traveling for the Interview:
If you have been granted an interview and are considering your hotel and air transportation options, Ontario International Airport (ONT) is 26 miles to Moreno Valley and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is 78 miles to Moreno Valley (traffic is considerably less from Ontario Airport). Local hotel options include Comfort Inn (951) 242-0699, Regency Inn & Suites (951) 247-8582, the Ayres Hotel and Spa has a special rate and can be booked at (951) 574-4141 or https://booking.ihotelier.com/istay/istay.jsp?HotelID=74114&identifier=RCRMD and Hampton Inn & Suites (951) 571-7788 to name a few.
Applicants who successfully match in the program here at The Riverside University Health System must provide the following additional documentation prior to the start of the program:
- Official medical school transcript indicating that a degree was issued and date of issuance
- Copy of medical school diploma
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of current driver's license
- Copy of permanent resident card
- Copy of current BLS and ACLS certifications
- If required documentation is in different names, then proof of name change (ie. marriage certificate or court document) must be provided
- If any required documents are in a language other than English, then a translation of the document must be provided
In addition to the above, prior to appointment date, the applicant must have successfully completed all RUHS pre-employment requirements, including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical and Department of Justice background check.
Failure to provide any required documents or to successfully complete all pre-employment requirements by the date of appointment will result in automatic withdrawal from the training program.